Here's One I Prepared Earlier...




I made this card for one of my best mates, who is a real bookworm. Let's just say, she's incomplete without a book in hand. I love this about her, and wanted to celebrate her great appetite for books, by sending her a card which reflected this. So where better to source the right image than from the wonderfully talented author and illustrator Elizabeth O. Dulemba. She has a fabulous site dedicated to promoting her children's books which includes children's 'Colouring Pages'. Elizabeth's site is all about encouraging kiddies to read and hence has loads of wonderful images of characters reading. I loved her 'Reading Fairy' and knew this would be perfect for my pal. I just know I'll be back there again too! 

I coloured Elizabeth's fairy with my Promarkers and wanting to use some gorgeous glittered First Edition paper, chose to colour her dress in a matching hue. I wanted the books to hint at old leather-bound tomes, so coloured those up in sombre tones, but I know my pal is happiest when lost in the pages of a good book, so I found a rub-on sentiment with the word 'Happy' and added that to the empty spine of one of the books. I glittered the fairy's wings, to bring a little bling and sparkle and added a little sentiment tag which just slipped in between the foam mounts nicely for a little hidden message. This tag and the sweet little Robin were part of a chipboard freebie from one of my craft magazines around Christmas time and I thought worked perfectly with the colour scheme and added a little hint of red to lift it all.

The border punch used to create the triptych design was an X-cut border punch called 'Flower Doily' which I think finished the card edge really nicely. The little 'photo corners' on the image were just off-cuts from the border punch, a simple but sweet finish to the image. I used a bitter chocolate coloured card to mat the image and for one of the border punched layers, which I really loved and think created a nice background to really set off the lighter duck egg blue. I hope you like it too. Thanks for visiting today and if you like what you see, do leave me a note x

Comments

Nenny, I just adore your color palette! And I am indeed going to feature your creation in the May 29, 2012 Coloring Page Tuesday newsletter. If you're not subscribed, you can do so at http://dulemba.com/index_ColoringPages.html . Happy Coloring! :) e
AussieRubyNess said…
Simply Gorgeous!!!!! I have an 11 y.o. grand daughter who is also a bookworm, and I know I will enjoy using my digi stamp too. Your colour choice is really really nice too. TFS
Oh so lovely to have you come visit my blog Elizabeth and leave me such a lovely comment. Thank you for your beautiful image, it was such a joy to work with! Wends x
Michelle J M said…
Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Have been looking at your cards, they are beautiful. I have this image and lots more from Elizabeth but have not used it. You have created a fabulous card with it. Love the colours. Michelle x

Recent Posts You May Also Enjoy